Monday, December 9, 2013

Time to Clean House

The things that I have always admired about the Godfather movies is that in the last sequence all business is settled. The cold, Sicilian temper is a very dangerous thing. I cannot help but operate under the same guidelines. Every once in a while it is time to clean house. For me at this point in my life I have wasted a lot of fucking time. I'm 38 years old now. I'm bald. Well, I shave, but I'm going bald anyway--what's to wait for, huh? I want to be a writer, but I have had basically no success. I have a few books out but they are either small press or indie published. I have a bar that is sucking the life out of me. I spend most of my time there playing pool or just wasting the night drinking (this and my massive appetite has made me fat). Now, with that cold Sicilian mentality I want to change it all. I want to change my life: no more gambling, a lot less drinking, eat less, sell the bar, quit the pool team, and devote myself to getting something good written. So far everything has been kind of half-baked. For Monks Only is too short, Glyphic is too complicated, and I still don't have a novel or a bunch of short stories out. The other major mistake I made was to submit 50 copies of Glyphic to the Goodread First Reads. What a huge mistake! The people who received my well-researched, in-depth, poetic novella in verse wanted a Young Adult book or a Romance or Fantasy or something very different than the Contemporary Literary Novella in Verse that I had written. I got some very low reviews (which I'm proud of) from some readers who I really don't respect too much. I assume everyone is reading Italo Calvino, William Faulkner, Haruki Murikami, and Toni Morrison. I'm wrong. They are reading Fifty Shades of Gray and Twilight. Well, I'm learning. Now is the time to put the things that don't work in the front seat of the car and wrap a wire around their necks and pull till I choke the life out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oigan, Mexicanos!

Keep this Page Going

Payment Options